No Light Rail in Vancouver!
What the Orange County Grand Jury found
· Light rail will have negligible impact on traffic congestion
· Light rail is expensive relative to other transit modes
· Light rail is inflexible
· Light rail cost and ridership forecasts ... biased in favor of light rail.
· Light rail will not spur development.
· Development along light rail corridors is spurred by tax subsidies, not light rail.
· Light rail will not improve commuter travel times, energy conservation and safety.
· Transit's share of land travel in the U.S. has dropped from approximately 6 % to
less than 1 % since 1950.
· Virtually none of the pollution improvement is attributable to transit.
· Public transit is less fuel-efficient than the auto.
· Light rail is slower than the auto.
· The average auto work trip is about 19 minutes while the average transit work trip
is 50 minutes.
· Light rail offers no advantages over express buses.
· Express buses . . . about 60 % faster than light rail's 16.2 miles per hour.